Manarola is one among the tiny towns in a part of the Italian Riviera, called the Cinque Terre, which is located along the Mediterranean Sea in northwestern Italy. A fascinating thing about this tiny port is that it’s in fact one colorful maze of houses built on the slopes of the cliff. They are called “Tower Houses” and look as if they are stacked on top of each other.
The only vehicles you can see on the roads are the shuttle buses that take passengers from the parking area to the village center. It is a place with no traffic lights, no horns, no screeching of tires and no traffic violations.
A walking trail that runs along the Mediterranean coastline connects the five villages of Cinque Terre, and the views are absolutely incredible.
A Little Bit Of History
This tiny port town is the oldest among the Cinque Terre towns and the local dialect is Manarolese.
Manarola, Cinque Terre
The native people have been into fishing and wine making for many centuries.
Sciacchetra, the high quality local wine is produced in this region, and there is a small museum devoted to Sciacchetra and to the winemaker’s art in general.
Where is Manarola?
- 100.6 miles/ 162 km from Florence, Italy
- 57.7 miles/ 93 km from Pisa, Italy
- 9.3 miles/ 15 km from La Spezia, Italy
- 55.3 miles/ 89 km from Portofino, Italy
- 147.8 miles/ 238 km from Milan, Italy
- 60.8 miles/ 98 km from Pisa International Airport, Italy
- 70.8 miles/ 114 km from Genoa Airport, Italy
- 96.9 miles/ 156 km from Florence Airport, Peretola, Italy
- 178.9 miles/ 288 km from Milan-Malpensa Airport, Italy
- 169.6 miles/ 273 km from Milan Bergamo Airport, Italy
- 147.2 miles/ 237 km from Milan Linate Airport, Italy
Things to See
Manarola village and its cliffs, Cinque Terre
- Piazza Capellini
- San Lorenzo Church
- The Oratory
- The Harbor
- Via Discovolo
- Via de Mezza
- Beach between Manarola and Corniglia
- Walking the Trail, The Via dell Amore
- Boat Tour
Manarola is a small town that you can walk all the way up and back down the street in 15 minutes, but it is a unique, pleasant place.
Everything about Manarola is calm, peaceful, quiet and relaxing; it is like visiting a long forgotten, historic paradise.
We wish you a fantastic Mediterranean cruise!