Volos is an attractive coastal city built on the foothills of Pelion Mountain, and it is the political and economical capital of the Magnesia region. It is built in Pagasitiko’s Bay, near the ancient site of Iolkos. It is the only outlet to the sea from the region of Thessaly and its port is the bridge that connects with Asia, Europe and Middle East.
It is an industrial city and the main export center of Thessaly. The Pelion is scattered with beautiful mountain villages where you can relax and enjoy the awe-inspiring views.
Church of Saint Constantine and Helen, Volos, Greece
A Little Bit of History of Volos
The city was developed in the 19th century on the site of ancient city of Iolcos. Most of the buildings were destroyed in the massive 1950s earthquake and were rebuilt soon after.
The town of Volos
The city’s development was based on the establishment of its industrial estate and the growth of tourism.
International Music Festival and Argo Film Festival are the two famous festivals here.
The city is famous for its cheese products, spoon sweets, homemade pasta, natural herbs and liqueurs made from fruits.
Where is Volos?
- 129.2 miles/ 208 km from Thessaloniki, Greece
- 203.1 miles/ 327 km from Athens, Greece
- 252.8 miles/ 407 km from Skopje, Macedonia
- 49.3 miles/ 79.5 km from Skiathos, Greece
- 88.8 miles/ 143 km from Meteora, Greece
- 15.4 miles/ 24.9 km from Nea Anchialos Airport, Greece
- 50.6 miles/ 81.5 km from Skiathos Airport, Greece
- 147.8 miles/ 238 km from Thessaloniki Airport, Greece
- 214.3 miles/ 345 km from Athens Airport, Greece
Things to See
- Volos Castle
- Agioi Konstantinos Church
- Folk Art Centre
- Archeological Museum
- Municipal Gallery
- Agios Konstantinos Park
- Archeological Sites
- The City of Pherai
- Alikes Beach
- Anavros Beach
- Plakes Beach
- Gatzea Rivera
- Koropis Beach
Volos is a typical Greek city and is an excellent hub to explore the nearby islands of Skopelos and Skiathos.
The combination of the allure of the sea and the mystical charm of the Centaurs’ Mountain is well worth your while on your Mediterranean journey.
We wish you a fantastic Mediterranean cruise!