Western Mediterranean cruises can take you to some of the most glamourous places in the world. Barcelona, Monte Carlo (Monaco), Cannes, St Tropez, Ibiza are just some of the destinations that spring to mind. However, glitz and glamour aside, there is truly a great number of extraordinary historic treasures and cities in this area, such as Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Siena, Pisa, Palermo, Lisbon, Naples…
There are also some of the most romantic spots in the world, that will make you want to stay there for a long time – Florence, Capri, Menton, Taormina, Positano, Siracusa…
As you can see on the map above, this area encompasses Portugal, Spain, France, Western Italy with Sicily (although cruises often extend into Adriatic, because you simply can’t miss Venice, or Dubrovnik when you’re here already :). It also includes Corsica, Sardinia and Balearic islands (remember Ibiza…?)
On its south end it includes North African countries of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.
Finally, Canary Islands in the Atlantic ocean are usually included in the itineraries of most cruise ships.
It is a very diversified area for cruising, and you get a huge mix of cultures, peoples and languages. It really depends what you would like to concentrate on.
If you want glamour, there’s Cote d’Azur in France.
If you want history, there’s Italy with Sicily, Spain and Portugal.
Exotic? Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria.
Or you can mix it all!
Explore these pages and find what’s best for you. There is a lot, really, and you better find out before you decide where to go on your Western Mediterranean Cruise 🙂
Western Mediterranean Destinations by Country
- Rome | Florence | Pisa | Venice | Naples | Capri | Savona | Genoa | Portofino | Sorrento | Santa Margherita | Amalfi | Positano | Salerno | Portoferraio (Elba) | San Remo | Corniglia | Crotone | La Spezia | Ischia | Manarola | Gaeta | Monterosso | Ponza | Porto Ercole | Porto Venere | Rapallo | Riomaggiore | Vernazza | Viareggio | Civitavecchia
- Messina | Palermo | Catania | Trapani | Taormina| Lipari
- Cagliari | Olbia
- Barcelona | Malaga | Palma de Mallorca | Vigo | Valencia | Cartagena | Cadiz | Ibiza | Alicante | Seville | Almeria | A Coruna | Mahon | Palamos | Granada| Altea| Bilbao| Ceuta| Ciutadella| Formentera| Gijon| Huelva| Madrid| San Antonio| Santander| Puerto Banus| Soller| Tarragona| Motril| Roses, Costa Brava
- Santa Cruz de Tenerife | Las Palmas | Arrecife | Lanzarote| Arrecife| Fuerteventura| La Palma| San Sebastian de la Gomera| Santa Cruz de la Palma
- Monaco | Cannes | Marseille | Toulon | Villefranche | Nice | Cassis
- Lisbon | Funchal (Madeira) | Ponta Delgada | Oporto | Portimao
- Casablanca | Agadir | Tangiers
- La Goulette | Tunis | Hammamet | Sousse
Whichever itinerary you take, you are bound to have a rich Mediterranean cruise experience, a true mix of history, culture, glitz and glamour!